Wednesday, September 11, 2013

People Need to Think Before They Speak...

Milestones in the NICU are proud moments. Whether, it's graduating to the Progressive Care Unit or giving your baby his or her first bath...they are moments you will NEVER forget. We were kind of past the extremely critical point, but obviously still dealing with a baby whose course could change at any moment. We had already celebrated a couple of these milestones in the last few weeks, and we were about to celebrate another.....
Liam had hit the 2 pound mark & for anyone who has had a baby born as little as Liam, you will know that 2 pounds is HUGE !!!! What a porker !!! ( kidding...lol )
I wanted to believe that everyone was as happy about this news as we were....and that Liam was out of the woods, but we were shaken back down reality rather quickly one day shortly after that....my mom had gone to the dr ( my family dr as well ) for an appointment, and was thrilled to share Liam's big milestone.....with little emotion, she flatly said to my mom.. " you know, babies born that early don't generally do very well "
Are you f'ng kidding me !?!?! Who says that !?!?! Let alone someone in her profession......needless to say that afternoon when I went to visit Liam , I stood in front of his isolette bawling uncontrollably like the biggest moron ever !! One of the nurses came over to me and asked if everything was ok, and I couldn't help but tell her what the doctor had said....she looked at me and said " he is amazing, and will continue to be amazing , just sit and talk to him and he will be perfect in your eyes forever " .
That is the heart of a NICU nurse.

1 comment: